Registration now open for summer camps at Prairie Park Nature Center
If you’d like your child to get some outdoor exercise this summer, the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department has some options coming up.
The Prairie Park Nature Center will hold weekly summer adventure camps beginning in June. The camps include various themes, such as fishing, canoeing and archery.
The program is open to children 6-13 years old and camps will be in session from June 6 through Aug. 12. Camps run Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. There is also an extended camp option that runs Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Participants should bring a sack lunch and wear appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
The cost of the camp is $100 per child, per week. The extended camp costs $125 per child, per week. Registration can be done online at the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department’s website or at any of its facilities. For additional information, contact the nature center at 832-7980.
Adventure camp themes are as follows:
• June 6-10 Claws, Paws, Jaws
• June 13-17 Kid Vs. Wild
• June 20-24 Most Extreme Animals
• June 27-July 1 Spaceship Earth
• July 5-8 Lights, Camera, Animals
• July 11-15 Where the Wild Things Are
• July 18-22 Creature Quest
• July 25-29 The Planet Avengers
• Aug. 1-5 Junior Naturalists
• Aug. 8-12 Last Chance Summer Camp
In other news and notes for Tuesday:
• Cordley Elementary School will hold its choir and handbell choir program at 7 p.m.
• Deerfield Elementary School will hold its fifth-grade parent information meeting at 6 p.m.
• Prairie Park Elementary’s Eat & Earn Night will be held from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Jason’s Deli.
• The parents group at Liberty Memorial Central Middle School will meet at 6 p.m. The school’s site council will meet at 7 p.m.
• The Lawrence High School spring orchestra concert will be at 7 p.m.
Lunch menu options:
Elementary school level
Main dish: super nachos; parfait with muffin; peanut butter and jelly with string cheese; chef salad with breadstick
Sides: perfect pinto beans, frozen fruit cup, salad bar, tomato salsa, milk
Middle school level
Main dish: super nachos; parfait with muffin; peanut butter and jelly with string cheese; chef salad with breadstick; hamburger; fish sandwich
Sides: perfect pinto beans, frozen fruit cup, salad bar, fruit juice, tomato salsa, fresh fruit, milk
High school level
Main dish: meatloaf with roll; chicken and noodles; cereal with string cheese; parfait with muffin; deli bar; veggie shaker; peanut butter and jelly with string cheese; daily sandwiches
Sides: mashed potatoes with gravy, roasted cauliflower, mandarin oranges, fruit juice, fresh fruit, frozen fruit cup, fruit sorbet, over potatoes, salad bar, milk