sunnyFair, 43.0°

Question

Sound Off: Fence posts

Answer

<b> A neighbor has a fence post line that runs across the length of three neighboring backyards. Rails are falling out of the slots, left on the ground and are rotting. There are even some in our yard. There’s no effort to fix or put them back in their post. It’s very unsightly to look at this every day. Who do we call to complain? </b>

Report code violations to the Code Enforcement division at 832-7700 or report the issue by submitting a complaint online at lawrenceks.org/pds/code_enforcement.

Comments

bearded_gnome

^^

---good Lord DIST! you mean suggesting co cooperation??? you trying to start a revolution or something?

4 years, 7 months ago

Leslie Swearingen

I am not understanding this. Why did this person put up on fence on three other properties and part of a forth? Do they own all four houses? Maybe the fence could just be torn down and mulched.

4 years, 7 months ago

kernal

Or, the fence owner's property line abuts the other three property lines in which case the fence post line could still be on the fence owner's property.

4 years, 7 months ago

verity

I have three properties abutting my back yard. Ended up with more property than I originally thought I was buying due to an angled property line. Then the little neighbor girls moved the survey stick and now another neighbor is mowing part of my yard. I decided sometimes silence is best.

4 years, 7 months ago

gccs14r

If you don't contest adverse possession, you'll lose that property. And are you saying that your neighbors found a buried survey spike, dug it up, and moved it? I'd call the county and find out what the next steps are, rather than take that lying down.

4 years, 7 months ago

Bob Forer

Adverse possession requires an unbroken period of ten years. Nothing to get too excited about for the time being.

4 years, 7 months ago

verity

1 No fence, rotting or otherwise, although when I lived in Lawrence my neighbor would periodically nail my fence back together from his side. I will never have a wood fence again.

2 Don't care if the neighbor takes that piece of the property.

3 The survey stick is a piece of lath which kept falling over, so nobody was sure where the line was anyway. Different neighbors who moved the stick---pre-school girls---they like to move things.

All is good.

4 years, 7 months ago

Jock Navels

in the old days: a fence on a property line - as you face the fence, you are responsible for the left half of the fence line. possibly you should be fixing the fence. try talking to your neighbor before going to the law.

4 years, 7 months ago

gccs14r

My realtor told me that if you can see the fence supports, it's your responsibility, but if all you see are the pickets, it's the neighbor's. Dunno how that works with chain link or split rail.

4 years, 7 months ago

Aiko

Not correct on the fence support siding issue. When building a fence on your property you can face pickets in either direction you choose.

4 years, 7 months ago

jafs

If it's on a property line, I would think that maintenance is shared between property owners - is that not true?

4 years, 7 months ago