Sound Off: Could you decode the crosswalks at the Lawrence Arts Center and at 12th and Kentucky? I’m not sure what all of the options mean for drivers.
Megan Gilliland, a spokeswoman for the city, gave this overview of the process at those two locations.
The crosswalk lighting remains “dark” until activated by a pedestrian pushing the button. Then, this sequence occurs:
• The vehicle indications “flash” yellow, which means you may proceed through the intersection with caution.
• The vehicle indications display a “steady” yellow, which means a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter.
• The vehicle indications display a double “steady” red, which means stop.
• The vehicle indications alternately “flash” red which means stop, then proceed after yielding to any pedestrians within the crosswalk.
• The vehicle indications return to “dark.”