sunnyFair, 53.0°

Question

Sound Off: When is the first day of spring?

Answer

This year, the spring equinox falls on Tuesday, March 20.

Comments

RoeDapple

I hear it is right after the last day of winter . . . but who knows?

somedude20

the day after tomorrow?

Ron Holzwarth

A few bits of trivia concerning the first day of spring, clipped from various sources:

The first day of spring is also called the vernal equinox. “Vernal” and “equinox” are Latin terms meaning “spring” and “equal night".

The vernal equinox, which occurs on March 20 or 21 each year and signals the start of spring in the Northern Hemisphere, is also the autumnal equinox—the first day of autumn—in the Southern Hemisphere

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 1:14 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (0514 UTC), the March Equinox (also known as the Spring Equinox or Vernal Equinox) occurs.

It has been tradition that spring "begins" on March 20, and the three other seasons begin on their solstices or equinox. However, there is no set scientific standard for the beginning of the seasons.

Maddy Griffin

Where do they get this mess?

pz5g1

I didn't realize it was less work to compose and submit a letter to the newspaper than do a Google search.

Ron Holzwarth

Envelopes and stamps are cheaper than computers.

jehovah_bob

In today's reliance on technology, we have forgotten how to use the simple efficiency of a calendar.

Ron Holzwarth

Not all calenders have the first day of each season marked. But my calender for 1985 had the date for the first day of summer printed in red, and all the other dates were printed in black.

I'll never forget the moment that I walked up to my calender and noticed that today, the first day of summer, was June 21. So, there was no need to mark a day I never wanted to forget, it was finally over.

And then, exactly seven months later, while reading the front page of the Lawrence Journal-World, I got the shock of my life.

Ron Holzwarth

The solstices or equinoxes occur on the same day, only the seasons are different.

Ron Holzwarth

I have a chat pal in OZ, and we discuss the weather sometimes. Very often, it's freezing cold here, while he talks about how hot it is there!

3up3down

Don't ask the government that question. They will want to hire a research firm for 6 figures to figure it out. Typical!!

JackMcKee

Finally, an intelligent question.

verity

"I suggest that these are not questions posed by the public but rather by the LW employee in charge of this section!!"

I had that very same thought. It sure does get people stirred up and is usually good for several laughs.

Ron Holzwarth

I know a family that always remembers March 20th, because their 19 year old son died that day.

That's how they remember the first day of spring.

Terry Sexton

Don't care about the questions. Only the answers. Usually very entertaining. Good job, LJWorld.

deec

When the first crocus blooms. Or I see the first robin, whichever comes first.

LadyJ

Dang, that jet sounded like it was right on top of my house, must be spring.

Ron Holzwarth

Good thing it wasn't fall, huh?

Full LJWorld.com site