sunnyFair, 47.0°

Question

Sound Off: Why is the nature park on Folks Road just south of Peterson Road called the City of Lawrence if it’s in the county?

Answer

Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager, provided this information: The park, which is called Folks Road Park, is within city limits and has been owned and operated by the city for more than 10 years. Recently, the city has developed hiking areas within the park.

Comments

Tim Quest

Dear Mr. Newspaper:

Why is Massachusetts Street named Massachusetts when it is in Kansas? I am old and angry, please fix this immediately.

Sincerely,
Angry Old Man Calling Sound Off

Grump

I thought it was funny.

Eddie Muñoz

Ha!

Bill Lee

Angry Old Man, if you look around Lawrence, you'll find other streets named for states other than Kansas. It's as if someone had a plan.

Ron Holzwarth

It was quite a plan! The streets in Lawrence are named, east to west, in the order in which they were admitted into the union. So, in addition to a plan, it is a history lesson!

But don't ask me about how they decided on the order of the names of the original thirteen colonies. No one has ever explained that to me. And, south of 23rd Street, they started over, I know Utah is down there, don't ask me to explain that.

JayhawkFan1985

I believe the first 13 are in the order they signed one of the founding documents. I don't recall if it was the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.

kernal

I think FarneyMac was being droll in response to the question Sound Off answered.

Tim Quest

Thank you, person-with-a-brain.

socketus

power of the intertubs - starting with vermont and ending with florida, those streets span west in Lawrence in order of their date of admittance to the Union. My question is why start with Vermont ?- as you go east of Mass St., there is a semblance of reverse order of the states admitted to the union .... ending at Delaware, but skipping N. Car., Va., S. Car., & Ga. Did the naming get a bad start ? or was the info available at that time a little less accurate ?

Brian Hall

If you look at the original plat of Lawrence in 1854, all states were represented. As for why Georgia Street was supposed be located roughly where Haskell Avenue is now and Lawrence doesn't have a Georgia Street, I have some theories but no hard proof.

Original plat:

John Hamm

Referring to the original question: I'd like to ask one covering Martin Park - same general area. Why did the City let a once very nice "family" park become in such terrible condition? I just don't understand it.

cozborn

I take it you haven't been to Martin park within the last year then?

JustNoticed