light_rainLight Rain and Windy, 52.0°

Question

Sound Off: Is it legal to make a left turn on a red light in west Lawrence?

Answer

A left turn on a red light is only permitted when traveling on a one-way street, onto another one-way street that is proceeding to the left of such vehicle, after making a complete stop and yielding the right of way to any vehicle approaching said intersection. According to the Lawrence Police Department, there are no intersections like this in Lawrence.

Comments

agrabass

Ohhhhh, Jesus, Mary, & Joseph help the person that asked that question. That said, I will have another splash & carry on.

errita

I can't believe this even got printed. If you even have to ask that question you shouldn't have a license.

JackMcKee

only in West Lawrence. Everywhere else on Earth. No.

ljwhirled

At the light on 23rd & Wakarusa going west?

Should be. If you are west bound that is a left-turn-on-green-arrow only light, despite the fact that there is almost zero traffic coming east.

Late at night, you can sit for 3-5 min at that light waiting to turn left when there is no traffic at all in any direction.

Sometimes I cheat and turn on red anyway. Sorry, but who has the time?

crimsonlaugh

I did that (but going East) because I thought there was no one at the intersection. Turns out there was a police officer behind me (I swear I wasn't drinking). It is most definitely not legal to do so.

average

Yep. I'll cop to having done it a few times turning left from SB Iowa to EB 19th. I can't imagine an intersection with better visibility for a permissive-left-turn (facing downhill... you can see all the way to the Wakarusa) and there's no incoming NB traffic from 19th to 21st. The only reason I can see not having a flashing-yellow there might be in regard to emergency vehicles from the firehouse.

I'm hoping that's what the Sound Off caller is talking about, not a more general case of 'turning left on red'.

Valkyrie

Sitting at a red turn light on a motorcycle which may not have the weight nor mass to trigger the light while waiting for a car to pull behind you to change it is a pain. I believe Kansas law states that a bicycle or motorcycle can turn left on the red light provided there is no on coming traffic and it can be done so in a safe manner. If you are in a car, eh well, your stuck :-(

iron_outlaw

It is legal. Only after performing a Chinese fire drill though. I'm sorry that's not very PC of me. Asian Fire Drill. There that's better.

grimpeur

Do I really have to stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk? What's that white line across the lane at the stop sign for? If I kill someone while using my phone behind the wheel, will my phone, license or car be impounded, and how much do I have to pay to prevent this? How can I ensure that I keep my license after, say, my 5th DUI?

Why is the driver's test so hard?

iron_outlaw

Lose my phone? Noooooooo! How else would I post my witty banter on ljworld?

somedude20

Does it matter what the law is? Seems like most drivers, sometimes myself as well, don't give a spit about the law and do what they want (no cop, no stop, right?). The only group of peeps on the road who are worse than driver of cars are bicyclists.
Have a blessed day!

Russell Fryberger

Seems that the worse drivers on the road these days are the ones that obey the traffic laws.

Hooligan_016

I've done that once at 19th and Louisiana at like 4am. Sat there through 3 cycles without getting a green left turn light. After seeing absolutely no other vehicles approaching from any direction, I seized the opportunity.

whats_going_on

YES. Inverness and Clinton Pkwy is immediately what I thought of. That light is RIDICULOUS.

EarthaKitt

Ridiculous! I would assume that the light would change more slowly at rush hour, but even then it's infinitely too slow. Very frustrating.

Julie Craig

The person who asked this question has probably seen other cars do it. I have. Not just at 4AM either. The stoplight at Wakarusa and K10 by-pass and also the Iowa and by-pass stoplight seem to be popular.

Lenette Hamm

Seriously? I know (some) drivers in Lawrence are questionable at times, but this takes the cake...

gphawk89

"A left turn on a red light is only permitted when traveling on a one-way street, onto another one-way street that is proceeding to the left of such vehicle, after making a complete stop and yielding the right of way to any vehicle approaching said intersection."

True in KS. Not necessarily in other states. Not legal in MO.

whats_going_on

legal? no...but that doesn't stop me from doing it. I refuse to wait 5 minutes for a light at 11pm on a Tuesday when I can clearly see no cars in either direction for at LEAST a half mile.

Richard Payton

Honey you don't have to wear that dress tonight... Roxann..

pace

I once told a New Yorker that kansas traffic is so light that we could turn left at a red light after a full stop. My daughter corrected me and told him the truth. She was right, bad joke.

geoismeo

If you're a bicycle rider you can. You can run stop signs too.

RoeDapple

Well if it's okay then it should be okay to make a left at a roundabout instead of going all the way around to the right . . . . er not.

Full LJWorld.com site