sunnyFair, 51.0°

Question

Sound Off: Why is the stoplight at the junction of U.S. Highways 24-40 and 24-59 not on a sensor? It’s not even close to other lights with which it would need to be coordinated. I’ve sat there for what seems like endless minutes early on Saturday and Sunday mornings when I was the only car within sight for the entire time.

Answer

The stoplight at that junction is on a sensor, according to David Woosley, traffic engineer for the city of Lawrence. To report a malfunction, call the traffic engineering department at 832-3021.

Comments

RoeDapple

Yes. It is.

Curtis Lange

Agreed.

KS

And I'm sure you folks can do a better job. Any experience on that resume?

KS

I forgot! There is another way to solve that problem. Put in a roundabout! That should draw some fire, They save time and gas, as well as electricty and maintenance on signals.

lurn

A few weeks ago the light at 6th and Wakarusa was out for anyone going north. The rest of the lights went through rotation but the north bound stayed red. We called the police dispatch and was informed that all city traffic signal repairs have been "outsourced" . Does anyone know if this is true?

skinny

Samething at Clinton Parkway and Inverness Dr. You can sit on Inverness Drive for two minutes before the light will change and there is not one car on Clinton Parkway!

iron_outlaw

I drive that way to work every day. There is a large sensor mounted to the top of the stop light arm. It regularly changes for me before I'm even at a complete stop. I too travel through on weekend mornings for work so that would have nothing to do with wait times either. I'm guessing the problem lies with the color car you drive and the stop light sensor hating that color. Yep, that's it, a bigoted stop light!

oldvet

When sitting at a long stoplight in the early hours, with no other traffic in site from either side or behind/before, proceed with caution after being confident of the lack of law enforcement in waiting.

littlexav

Amen. I do this with left-on-green-only lights all the time. No traffic, no cops? No problem.

Brian Hall

Exactly. Assuming they are coming from 24-40, they could turn left onto County Road 9 which becomes North 7th Street and take that to Locust Street which would lead them to North 2nd Street.

Directions brought to you by someone not afraid to drive through North Lawrence.

pagan_idolator

It always cracks me up when folks are afraid to come to North Lawrence. Its one of the quieter parts of town.

somedude20

North Lawrence does have most of the strip clubs so it can't be too scary for people to, um, come there

pagan_idolator

Yowza!

Sheryl Wiggins

amen--although I kind of like some being afraid to drive through north Lawrence, less traffic for me to deal with.

Hooligan_016

Westbound at 19th and Louisiana ... I really don't understand why there can't be a "caution" left turn arrow after say 9pm. A very silly light.

JackMcKee

why not just say 6th and Iowa?

MarcoPogo

I think they're referring to the light up north at TeePee Junction.

kuhusker

15th and Wakarusa is the same way. After 10 PM if you are crossing Wakarusa (on 15th) going west to east, the light never changes. You end up having to run the red.

big_john

Just play like your riding a bike, if approaching and no cars are coming run through the red light.

cobaltblue

I always keep reading material in my car. Amazing how many books and magazines you can read while waiting at stop lights.

Full LJWorld.com site