light_rainLight Rain and Breezy, 45.0°

Question

Sound Off: Parking ticket

Answer

<b>I was downtown on a recent night and I parked on Massachusetts Street. It was 5:38 p.m., and I got a parking ticket. When do we need to put money in the meters?</b>

The parking meter hours downtown are 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, according to the city’s website. The meters do not need to be paid on Sundays or on holidays.

Comments

Eddie_Haskell

6 pm? Since when? Way to pull a fast one. No wonder I don't bother with hip, cool, and vibrant Downtown Lawrence anymore.

Cindy Wallace

It's been that way and was in the Journal World prior to it beginning...about 3 years ago...

Matthew Herbert

1. By "pulling a fast one", you must be referencing the fact that all the meters are clearly marked with the hours and days you need to feed them
2. If having to put 10 cents extra in a meter destroys your downtown experience, I'm guessing the economic benefit you were going to have on downtown was minimal.
3. I will ALWAYS support user based tax collection systems, such as parking meters and parking tickets rather than more property tax hikes which seems to be the go-to tool in our arsenal

Adrienne Sanders

The meters are not marked, at least not all of them. I was specifically looking recently b/c I couldn't remember if it ended at 5 or 6. It didn't say. So I put a dime in the meter.
Then again my world would not have ended if I'd ended up with a $3 ticket.

lawrencian

The times are sometimes posted inside the "back" of the meter head, not always the "front" (where you put in the money). But they are posted in every meter, somehow. It's required.

DillonBarnes

The last ticket I got downtown was $3. Yeah, it's a big parking conspiracy.

Cindy Wallace

...and repeat offenders are charged a hefty fine...and I believe, that when a person accumulates 5 or more in one day, such as those that would use a meter for work, are also charged a much larger fine....as it should be.

Clara Westphal

Don't give them any ideas.

like_n_Lawrence

Hours are in every meter's window.

Matthew Herbert

All meters are marked with hours of operation. The blame is not on the commission, but on those who can't/don't read

Crystal Patterson

All of the meters downtown list the hours on them, inside the glass, right below the time.

Old_Oread_Phart

Please, don't expect Wilbur to read. He's an expert.

gccs14r

6 p.m. has been the meter cutoff for awhile now. What I want to know is if the 15-minute meters are enforced after hours.

Liberty275

Just another reason to not go downtown.

Matthew Herbert

If 25 cents keeps you from downtown, your economic benefit to downtown was going to be minimal. I'm guessing you've lost more change in the laundry than you have in any downtown meter.

PhilChiles

It's interesting to note the reaction to this from locals vs people from other cities. When I tell out of towners that the ticket is $3 they always, without fail, laugh and say something to the effect of "That's all it costs?" I'd challenge anyone to name a town with lower ticket prices.

PhilChiles

I hope no one googles an answer to that. Challenge is good for the next 5 minutes only.

Matthew Herbert

Topeka has what they call an "oops ticket". If you have non-Shawnee county plates, you get a "oops - looks like you forgot to pay. Come visit us again". $0.

appleaday

That's because no one really wants to park in Topeka. They can't risk alienating the few who do.

JackMcKee

It's a little known fact but parking tickets are unconstitutional. That "fine" is actually just a suggestion. You are a sucker if you've actually been paying them.

like_n_Lawrence

ha ah ahahaha ha. .....and then comes a warrant in the mail. Yeah, let's listen to him!

John Hamm

Tell that to the KU student I saw brought in wearing "hotel" Orange one day - he had over 300 unpaid tickets.

Matthew Herbert

I had a colleague have to be bailed out because he opted not to donate to his $300 stash of parking tickets. The surprise he got from the cops was that if unpaid, a $3 ticket ecomes $10. His $300 in tickets cost him $1,000.

patkindle

anyone that is so full of them selves they get stacks of upaid partking tickets deserves to spend some time in the cooler

j_ox

But your Honor, the sign said "Fine for Parking..."

weeslicket

nice one !

weeslicket

whoa now. hold your horses and buggies.

i thought it was NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to get a parking spot downtown !?! how can this dilemma even exist?

CHEEZIT

Speaking of horse and buggy I got a ticket the morning of the Old-Fashioned Christmas parade! Bah-Humbug! I'm a townie so no big deal but I thought they didn't ticket until after!!!!

Lawrence Morgan

In San Francisco, the tickets START at $75.00. In two weeks, if not paid, they go to 150. In two more weeks, they go to the DMV with yet more charges and within two months if not paid, your car is impounded. Lawrence is very inexpensive!

(I live in both places.)

Eddie_Haskell

Well whoopi freakin' doo. I used to love SF until I realized it's as full of itself as NY. You live in both places? Pick one, and don't pick Lawrence.

beatrice

Those were tickets? I always thought the $3 invoice was the price for parking.

BorderRat

Fines in Denver start at $25.00 and they have gotten so bad that they have placed sensors in the streets that zero out the meters if a car leaves with time still on the clock. No more getting lucky and finding time still on the meter.

Eddie_Haskell

I used to live somewhere where parking tickets were expensive. One morning when I was pretty drunk I walked past a car with a ticket on the windshield. I grabbed the ticket, wrote something really vulgar on it, and dropped it in the box. I don't know what happened after that.

j_ox

That's a beautiful housecoat, Mrs Cleaver.

Full LJWorld.com site