partly_cloudyA Few Clouds, 93.0°


All these activities I’m sending my kids to this summer are getting expensive. Can’t I catch a break somehow? Can I get a bailout?


No, but you might qualify for a tax break.
Working parents who must find someone to care for their children during summer vacation may be able to use the cost of summer day camp to qualify for a federal tax credit, said Michael Devine, a regional spokesman for the IRS. Overnight camps do not qualify, but day camps that specialize in a particular activity — such as computers or soccer — do.
“The Child and Dependent Care Credit is for expenses incurred to care for a child, spouse or dependent, so you, and your spouse if you are married filing jointly, could work or look for work,” Devine said.
Up to $3,000 of unreimbursed expenses paid for one qualifying individual or $6,000 for two or more qualifying individuals can be used to figure the credit, he said. A qualifying person is a dependent child, age 12 or younger when the care was provided.
For more information, see IRS Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, available at or by calling (800) 829-3676.

Full site