Is there any place to walk indoors in Lawrence? If so, where?
Janelle Martin, executive director of the Douglas County Community Health Improvement Partnership, recommended the following places, and provided hours available for walkers:
• Allen Fieldhouse, 1651 Naismith Drive, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays.
• East Lawrence Recreation Center, 1245 E. 15th St., 7 a.m.-10 a.m. weekdays.
• Holcom Park Recreation Center, 2700 W. 27th St., 7 a.m.-11 a.m., weekdays and 5 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Walmart’s two stores, 3300 Iowa and 550 Congressional Drive, anytime.
• Target, 3201 Iowa, 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Saturday; and 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday.
Martin said Target has walking maps with distances marked, depending on which part of the store you walk. The maps are available at the front of the store in the designated “coat closet” for walkers in a three-ring binder. The coat closet is located in the front center aisle north of the customer service desk.