sunnyFair, 34.0°

Are you in favor of building the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility in Manhattan?

Yes 241 votes

54.16%

No 170 votes

38.20%

Not sure 34 votes

7.64%

445 total votes

Comments

labmonkey

Jobs and science in Kansas, hell yes.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

JackMcKee

To quote Will Smith, "ah HELL no"!

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

ljwhirled

I am against it because it is stupid to build a level 4 biosafety containment facility full of animal diseases in the middle of tornado alley.

Common sense. Put it on an island off the east coast (where the wind blows out to sea). Some place like Plumb Island would be good.

Don't think this couldn't happen here: http://cbsn.ws/ZX6qmb

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Janella Williams

Good point!

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Cant_have_it_both_ways

About as smart as putting all that money into those windmills. First tornado goes through, all of it is gone.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Kirk Larson

Maybe a couple are gone. Most of the infrastructure would still be in place. A wind farm would fare better than if a coal fired power plant was hit by a tornado.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Cant_have_it_both_ways

And you are an authority enough to know this for sure? I would think iron boilers would last much better in a tornado than some composit alloy?

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Kirk Larson

Maybe no expert but I've seen plenty of tornado damage. The turbines are so spread out I think only those directly in the path would be severely damaged. The power lines are underground and would be safe.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Clara Westphal

The authorities who want this lab claim it is 99% safe. What about the other 1%?

Putting an anthrax lab in the middle of cattle country doesn't sound like a good idea. It was on island in New York. They should keep it there.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Kirk Larson

As I posted elsewhere, they already found anthrax in the soil where they are building the NBAF. It's an old feed lot so it is endemic in the soil.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

oldbaldguy

this will be a great premise for a movie.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Carol Bowen

Manhattan is not an island.

4 years, 10 months ago

Report

Commenting has been disabled for this item.

Full LJWorld.com site