light_rainLight Rain, 70.0°

On the street: Should the City Commission set guidelines for the appearance of future commercial developments in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 25, 2006

Brenton Cheeks, Kansas University senior, Lawrence

“Yeah, I think they should. If companies are going to build here, I think it should have the Lawrence look to it.”

Adam Goldsmith, delivery driver, Lawrence

“While I would appreciate some more creative buildings, I don’t think it’s the City Commission’s place to decide that. If they own the property, they should be able to build it and make it look however they want.”

Moriah Beagel, mental heath specialist, Topeka

“Yes, I certainly do. There is a subculture here in Lawrence that would surely be squashed if they let corporations do whatever they want. Lawrence is an island in the sea of Kansas, and I don’t want it to be like the rest. I drive from Topeka to Lawrence to get away from that.”

Dian Stogsdill, self-employed, Lawrence

“I think they should regulate it to a point as far as the colors and the greenery, but not to the point that it discourages development.”

Comments

Kelly Powell

What "sub-culture" would be squashed ?While I do agree there should be some effort put into making sure new buildings do not clash with their envirement, the chances are it will all be cookie cutter strip malls and crappy ,boxy business parks from now on.

Linda Aikins

What harley said.

sgtwolverine

Uh:

"Commercial buildings also would be required to use many more natural materials - such as brick or stone - rather than cement blocks or other manmade materials."

Bricks are natural? Do you just find them lying around in fields?

I understand what they're thinking, but I think it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

neopolss

Silly Adam, don't you know that business owners in Lawrence have no say in how their business runs? Why should they have a say in how it looks?

acg

Yay for OMB and Sgt. Both of you cracked me up this a.m. Sgt, don't you know about those brick fields? Man, you are behind the times. ; )

OldEnuf2BYurDad

It's not asking too much to expect a nice facade on a building. When they start demanding a lot of greenery for a sno cone stand, then you have gone too far.

sgtwolverine

Apparently I am out of the loop about bricks. Either Michigan exhausted its natural brick fields long ago, or bricks were never native to the state. I guess we have to import all our natural bricks now, or use those newfangled synthetic bricks.

Liberty

This imay be how agenda 21 from the United Nations comes in with their regulations so beware of it. You really DON'T want any part of agenda 21.

Ceallach

I'm still not clear on just what the Lawrence look would be. Guess it's a good thing we have a city commission willing to make such determinations for us. My guess is it the Lawrence look will be something like this.

Noemon

I don't think that it's a bad idea to have new buildings in the downtown area conform to the existing look of the place, but I don't know that I see the point for the rest of the city.

I agree that the Louisiana Purchase looks pretty cheap, by the way.

sunflower_sue

RI, sounds like something any Ioweegan would say!

IOWA = Idiots Out Wandering Aimlessly! :oP

Besides, according to your momma, you like cheap and trashy. *snicker*

craigers

Oh no, SS brought out the mama jokes. This could get ugly. You know like your mama, that even the dog doesn't want to play with her.

sgtwolverine

Sue, when the University of Iowa played Michigan in football last year, I learned that Iowa also stands for I Owe the World an Apology.

ms_canada

If you were to do much driving around the country, I mean on an extended motor trip, you would pass through many small towns and cities. Some would impress you as having it all together. People taking pride in their town and wanting to make a good impression on visitors besides just enjoying the beauty of their own area.
I have done a lot of that in my years and passed through some truly beautiful places. One such town was Ogallala, can't remember which state, could be Wyoming, or Nebraska. I just loved it. This was many years ago but it seemed to me that the people of Ogallala were of one mind and cared about the appearance of their town. I thought that was wonderful and more towns should take note. Lawrencians, be glad that some thought is going into the planning of your delightful city. I thought your city was pretty nice when I visited. I liked Mass St.
Don't let it get spoiled by ugly.

H_Lecter

RI,

St. joe trashy? You mean leaving dead animals on the street of the stockyards looks bad?

I guess I was inspired by that visualization and aroma.

Ceallach

When you were born, you were so ugly . . . your mother slapped the doctor ;)

jonas

Really, though, shouldn't the question be changed to:

"Should THIS City Commission set guidelines for the appearance of future commercial developments in Lawrence?"

And then, I think we'd all agree, the answer should be: NO!

sgtwolverine

Life would be so much more interesting if the ghost of Frank Lloyd Wright set the guidelines, anyway.

RonBurgandy

We should put up giant walls around the city, put an airtight bubble between the wall and the city and fill up the space between the giant wall and the air bubble with water and then we can have an underwater community.

sgtwolverine

Well, blue, it might be possible, but old Harley didn't seem to revive poor GM too much, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all.

I hereby nominate Ron's idea as the best. It would also provide a fine recreational lake. A very tall recreational lake, but a fine one nonetheless.

Linda Aikins

Your mom is so fat, when she was a kid she could only play seek.

sgtwolverine

Your mom is so fat, they built a roundabout around her.

acg

You guys kill me. Your momma is so fat, she jumped up and got stuck!

sgtwolverine

Your mom is so fat, she IS the new library.

sgtwolverine

And remember, this is all Sue's fault.

sunflower_sue

So is NOT! It's all RI's fault! Nanny nanny boo boo! I can't hear you!

I know what I'll do, by and by...
I'll eat a worm, and then I'll die.
And when I'm dead, you wait and see...
You'll all be sorry that you picked on me!!! :oP**

craigers

Your mom's teeth are so yellow, when she smiles traffic slows down.

Linda Aikins

Your mom is so strange she picked up a guy in Westport named Marion.

sunflower_sue

Gootsie wins!

beatrice

Your momma is so fat, when she wears high heels she strikes oil.
... when she wears a red dress, the kids yell "Hey, Kool-Aid"
... after sex, your daddy roles over twice, and is still on top of her.

Oops, I mean, yes, especially in the downtown area. Have a nice, homey facade on the exterior, no matter if some giant corporate machine that is sucking money from the local economy is on the interior. In this day and age, it is all about appearances ... isn't it?

sunflower_sue

RI, thanks! I've now decided that I'm apparently old enough to require Depends. LMAO! :oD

thunderbuns

Your momma's so fat her shadow weighs 42 pounds.

Larry

Yo momma's so fat her cereal bowl comes with a lifeguard.

Yo momma so fat when she walks past a window we lose four days of sun light.

Yo momma's so fat she had to get baptised at Sea World.

Your momma's so fat when she fell over, she rocked herself to sleep tryin to get back up again.

Your mammas so fat and stupid, when it was raining she used the freeway for a slip and slide.

OR

Q: How do you tell the difference between a liberal and a conservative?
A: Easy. Watch a man drowning fifty feet offshore.
The conservative will throw out 25 feet of rope and shout "swim for it!"

The liberal will toss out 50 feet of rope, drop his own end, and go off to do another good deed.

Full LJWorld.com site