light_rainLight Rain, 70.0°

On the street: Do you think the Flint Hills are a good tourist attraction?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 15, 2006

Samantha Chambers, homemaker, Lawrence

“I don’t necessarily know that they’re a popular attraction, but I think it would be worth it for the people who visit.”

Shawn Fund, teacher, Emporia

“I think it is for some people who have only seen the city. It’s like us visiting New York or another big city. Some of them really like the landscape and open area.”

Alyssa Brown, home day care, Lawrence

“I’ve driven through them, and yes, they are pretty. But once you are there, then what?”

Jim Oxandale, potter, Topeka

“Absolutely. It’s just beautiful and very unique.”

Comments

killjoy

Are you serious?

A group of exchange students were driven 2-3 hrs to see the fields of native prarie and when they returned we inquired what they thought of it. They were polite, but couldn't understand why they were given a tour of the prarie grass.

It might be a nice break for someone in a nursing home, but I can't imagine anyone else enjoying it.

Alfred_W

Alyssa nailed it. Not much else to say...

hottruckinmama

i think they are beautiful myself. but then i like wide open spaces and i love western kansas.
i have to admit it might not be for everyone.

Redneckgal

I agree with mama...I think they are lovely. But no..they are probably not for everyone. I also agree with Pywacket. My small town is spending a lot of money trying to draw tourists. Don't get me wrong. We have a lot of nice old victorian buildings and a lot of history in our area. But the trouble is the history is very interesting for folks who live here but I'm afraid that outside of a few history buffs its not very interesting for people who are not from this area.

Linda Aikins

I'd love to do a covered wagon overnight trip into the Flint Hills. Camp out under the stars. Cook on the open fire. Wash dishes in the rivers. Get to "greet nature" in the wide open spaces. No television, cars, XBox. No air conditioning. Sleep on the ground.

Never mind.

displacedsunflower

I haven't gone thru the Flint Hills for MANY years, so don't remember what they look like. I think that they would be interesting to see as one is passing thru on their way to a state beyond KS.

It seems to me that the way that most places draw tourists is by having unique activities or products,
rather than the scenery or history of the place. New England is an exception, since it has a lot of unique history, including the maritime kind, and whale-watching, etc.

mooseamoose

Hey - I think their fantastic. I gather up my buffalo in the hatchback and we go down nearly every weekend that it's nice and I let the buffalo cavort and graze.

mooseamoose

Displaced - they look like this. Hills with no trees and grass on them.

Gootsie thanks for the laugh. That was good.

Sigmund

I think they are pretty. They would be alot prettier if there was one or two windmill farms generating electricity. Then once Alyssa got there she could take a tour of a generating plant that used no fossil fuels.

You know what is funny about that? The ecomentalist would find some reason to object. Then after they killed the project they would go back to lecturing the rest of us with that morally superior tone of theirs. Makes me want to buy a Hummer so that I can punch my own hole in the ozone and hasten the end of the planet just so I can shut their hypocritical traps up.

Teapot9

what exactly are the flint hills? they dont sound too exciting from these posts. Is Dodge City a cool town to visit?

jranderson

I love the Flint Hills. I was married on a farm near Olsburg Kansas, and it was more beautiful than any wedding I have ever attended in a city.

The prairies are beautiful in an understated way. We are all so used to BIG MAJESTIC landmarks that we forget to see the beauty all around us.

Jayhawk226

CNN reported the average visit of tourists to the Grand Canyon is all of 15 seconds.

They peak over, sneak a photo and gone...

KS Flint Hills are beautiful topography, but no lure for the atypical tourist family.

bender

Kansas... tourism...hahahahahahaha. Give it up.

sunflower_sue

Seriously? No. The only time I would want to see them is when they are on fire. Now that's pretty neat. Still wouldn't make a special trip to see it though.

H_Lecter

I think we should bring back the buffalo population and then do what Australia (and Medicine Lodge,KS) does; hire native actors to interact. Maybe host buffalo hunts & rebuild a Cavaly fort. (I may be the Director of Realism, to make sure the the fight scenes and the scalping looks real; I wouldn't want the tourists to feel short-changed) Maybe we could have wars against other states - now THAT would be fun! Our new tourist motto could be: KANSAS - Get out and kill something!!! Japanese tourists would love to be part of a historical US west world. Once we get the $$ flowing in, we'll sell them the land and move somewhere interesting.

Christine Pennewell Davis

now the fire thing is wrong just wrong on many levels.
It is nice to see but you do have to be of that mind set. If you do not like lets say camping then no do not make a trip just to see the grass but it might intrest you if you are driving by gives you a chance to see the natural beuty with out getting out of your car so.

thare

The Flint Hills are very beautiful but it's in a subtle way that I think is hard to appreciate if you are not from Kansas. They are pleasant to drive through but there isn't anything at all to "do" there. Walk around? Look at cows?
Kansas is not going to attract tourist. Period. I love the Flint Hills, but I'd rather be in the mountains or ocean or some city like NY or San Fran or even Denver. Who wants to go to Oklahoma? Nebraska? Kansas?
And I'm sorry historical reinactments...aside from a specialized few... that's not exactly going to rake in tourism dollars. Then again if you throw in tour of Lawrence round abouts...yeah!

Ceallach

Personally, I think the Flint Hills are beautiful. I enjoy going through them each time I drive home. Their value to me lies in the unique nature of that area. When my children were younger we would imagine what it must have been like to cross them in wagons, or visualize thundering herds of buffalo covering the range.

The Flint Hills should be preserved for the very reason that they are unusual. Tourist attraction??? Hardly!! Why does the state government spend sooooooo much money trying to sell Kansas as a tourist attraction? I say, let the tourists go somewhere else and stop trying to make Kansas into something it is not -- and never will be -- a big attraction.

rodneyking

We could always add the world's biggest roundabout. How could people stay away from Kansas then!

georgieporgie

I imagine people living in New York City would come, if only to see large sweeping vistas of prairie and breathe. The fresh air is really the best aspect of the flint hills.

They remind me of some of the areas in Southwest France. I think a director needs to get out there and film something.

coolmom

yes i do think they are a good tourist attraction...to buffalo.

Klickhammer

They should totally hook those boring hills up with Xbox wireless gaming fun and cure them of their boring beauty.

sunflower_sue

mome2, why is the fire wrong? And on what levels? Burning off the flint hills is a necessity. Don't burn 'em and one good lightening strike later...that whole area goes *POOF*.

ms_canada

klickhammer = this is so funny - my daughters last name is actually Klinkhammer and I am serious on that. Her name is R. Klinkhammer. If you look on the Seattle Thunderbirds web site you will see a picture and bio of my grandson Robert Klinkhammer, #9. He plays hockey for that team in the Wester Hockey League, major junior hockey.

MomMeg

Wow my fellow posters -- you've disappointed me today -- not one of you has made a joke about the potter in today's OTS panel!!

As for the question -- NO

Hot enough for you??

See you all tomorrow!

georgieporgie

Militant,

poulet ze prize is the closest. Hills are a little higher but the flat land is about the same.

Too bad we don't grow better wine here.

Ceallach

I like wine, hitme! Ironically, I feel about beer as you feel about wine. Tried on several occasions but never developed a taste for beer.

Full LJWorld.com site