partly_cloudyA Few Clouds, 77.0°

Letter to the editor: Weapons of war

To the editor:

I attended a meeting of Moms Demand Action on Feb. 22. Expecting a larger crowd after the Parkland shooting, they moved the venue. I’d been to a couple of meetings prior, amazed by the local leadership of this group. So well spoken, so organized, so welcoming. We are lucky in Lawrence to have them as guides on this journey to gun sense.

But something important was missing. Someone asked, “Are we not to address the issue of assault rifles; is that just too hot a topic?”After another spoke passionately about the earlier 10-year ban, the crowd burst into applause.

Yet one could see the leaders’ unease. The national group had concluded that activism shouldn’t touch that one. We were chided more than once to not just show up after a school shooting — a reasonable request from these hard-working leaders. And the issues of background checks, bump stocks and the like are worthy. But are we missing our moment here?

It looks like this time is different. The high school students from Parkland to locally — I just can’t get enough of their honesty and drive. The fact that banks and brand names are dumping the NRA; I’m wary of corporate America too, but money does talk. The way the news cycle on this has not faded yet, let’s not dampen the enthusiasm because we’ve been disappointed many times before. Weapons of war in our streets and schools must go. Let those in the know say so.

Comments

Bob Smith

The campaign to gut the Constitution continues apace.

P Allen Macfarlane

Blah, blah, blah

Bruce Weber

The Tide is rising Bob, better get your knickers on

See to your own undies.

Daniel Kennamore

People of your ilk were saying the same thing when the Constitution was amended to allow blacks and women to vote.

Thankfully, as with most things, the progressive side won on those issues eventually. Same thing will happen to your guns. Cling to them while you can.

Bob Summers

Here is another symptom of humans with the DRD4 gene polymorphism condition.

Bullying name calling. "ilk"

Behavior of those with the condition is as predictable as the rattlesnake shaking its rattle before striking.

Daniel Kennamore

Sorry, Bobby. Didn't realize you were so easily triggered.

I'll try to keep such loaded terms as 'ilk' out of discussions for you.

Greg Cooper

It just became quite obvious to me, Bob: you were the target of bullying as a child. I can think of no other reason that you'd resort to such childish behavior in your posts. What, essentially, you're saying is, "I know you are but what am I?" Most bullied people find a way to build their self-confidence and live a productive, varied life. You, on the other hand, have resorted to pulling inside yourself and bullying everyone who might not agree with you. That's not healthy, Bob, but a symptom of bullied people. People of your ilk, I might add.

Brock Masters

“Weapons of war in our streets and schools must go.”

The LTE has convinced me and I will support legislation that prohibits civilians from owning weapons used or previously used by the US military in war.

Will that satisfy those calling for more gun control?

Sure will miss my M1 but will give it up knowing no more school shootings will occur.

Lol,

First post out of the gate from you is gunsplaining...yet again.

Take your debates about minor definitions somewhere people care (hint: nobody but gun nuts care).

Brock Masters

Well when people like you and others stop making ignorant uniformed comments I will stop correcting them.

Why wouldn’t you want to be better informed about the issue you’re discussing?

Nah, keep posting stupid comments using the wrong terminology and demonstrating a lack of understanding about the issue. Yep, carry on.

Daniel Kennamore

"Why wouldn’t you want to be better informed about the issue you’re discussing?"

Because the points you are harping on are irrelevant.

Do you honestly think anyone who doesn't already agree with you is reacting to your gunsplaining beyond rolling their eyes and ignoring them?

Let me give you an example, lets say we were talking about new laws pertaining to video games. What you are basically doing is quibbling over in-game terminology and ignoring the broader points. You don't need to be able to recite every difference between a level 29 Pokemon mob and a level 30 BLUE Pokemon mob to be able to talk about video games...especially to the point of shutting down/ignoring all other points of the discussion.

Brock Masters

I guess you and I are different. I would do my best to educate myself about video games, strive to use the correct terminology not only so I don’t come across as a moron, but so we could have a meaning discussion.

If the point I made is irrelevant then go ahead and ban military weapons and see if that bans AR15s. It is very relevant to know the difference between a military weapon and a civilian one.

As I said, carry on, don’t educate yourself on the issue and continue making ignorant statements.

As far as your comment about whether anyone other than those who agree with me are paying attention, the answer is yes. For example, Bruce now understands the difference between a magazine and a clip and this led to a discussion where he and I had a nice back and forth about magazine capacity and ended up agreeing.

Daniel Kennamore

Any bill that is relying on random commentators on the ljworld to define the terminology is going to be a bad bill.

The time to get super picky about terminology is when the bill is actually being written...and neither of us is going to be involved with that. As such, it's a complete waste of time to discuss it with you (or me for that matter).

If you want to continue wasting your time, have at it. But it's an obvious tactic you use to derail and deflect the convo and I'm going to point and laugh at you every time you attempt it.

Brock Masters

Go ahead in no scenario will a soft round boy laughing at me have any impact. You’re weak and who can respect someone who refers to his father as a gun nut?

Really thought after our little discussion with your father we could have disagreed in a respectful way, but you’re hopeless and rely too much on name calling. Understand that my ignoring of you from this point is no way intended to suggest agreement but instead that you’re weak, ignorant and not worthy of engagement.

Daniel Kennamore

For someone who whines about his mistreatment so much, you sure do throw a lot of insults.

Keep on screaming at the wind if it helps you deal with the fact that your side is losing its grip on the debate and the old propaganda isn't working anymore.

Bob Smith

If you have a Springfield Trapdoor carbine, that has to go also.

Bob Summers

The second amendment, the Constitution for that matter, was put together to moderate, curb the bullying irrational behavior of people as LTE and the scads of congenital Liberals in government.

P Allen Macfarlane

OK. Since you seem to be interested in interpreting the Second Amendment literally, then the only weapons you should be allowed to have would be the muskets of 1787.

Bob Summers

But wait...I thought the constitution was a "living breathing document"...?

Andrew Applegarth

Don't forget the cannons, including incendiary shot amongst the shot selection. Oh, there were also a variety of automatic weapons, so those would be in as well. Actually, to save my time, let me just quote a previous post of mine:

"Automatic weapons date back at least to the 4th century BC with the Chinese repeating or 'continuous crossbow'. Although different in concept, volley guns date back at least to the 14th century. To say that the founding fathers would have no idea that arms would continue to advance from the musket would be ignorant. After all, the Continental Congress ordered 100 Belton Flintlock repeaters in 1777 (although they cancelled the order when they saw the bill). While automatic weapons were in their infancy and not truly comparable to the ones produced today, it would be asinine to believe that the 2nd Amendment only applies to muskets as there were so many multi-shot arms already in existence. Here is a small sampling:

Belton Flintlock - 16-20 round 'Roman Candle' style repeater
Puckle Gun - 6-11 shots per swappable cylinder
Girardoni Air Rifle - 30 shots per swappable air reservoir
Nock Gun - 7 barrel volley weapon
Pepper-Box Revolver - 3 or more barrels that rotate to the firing mechanism
Kalthoff Repeater - separate tubes for powder and ball held 6 - 30 rounds
Cookson Repeater - drum with separate chambers for powder and ball held 7 shots

That doesn't even touch on the fact that mortars, howitzers, and cannons (firing solid, exploding, incendiary, or scatter shot) were privately owned arms at the time and thus should be covered by the 2nd Amendment.

Hand Grenades - Yes, hand tossed exploding ordinance.
Hand Mortar - fused grenade launcher
Swivel Gun - a cannon small enough to be mounted on a swivel for easy aiming"

Cary Ediger

Bob here is a good article for you to read up on the 2nd amendment. Enjoy.

Daniel Kennamore

Sadly, must like the President, reading anything Russia hasn't pre-approved isn't exactly Bob's strong point.

Bob Summers

..and the bullying continues...

Bob Smith

Danny, how do you feel about the fact that the Russians also gave Red Bernie some assistance?

Daniel Kennamore

I didn't vote for Bernie, so ask someone who cares.

Brock Masters

Cary, it is an interesting read, but outdated in the context that DC v Heller has affirmed that the 2nd amendment is an individual right. Nonetheless it was interesting. Couple of points.

The author stated that “the right to keep and own an automobile is beyond question.” I disagree. There is no right to own a car. If the author doesn’t know it isn’t a right then how can we take what else he writes seriously?

He pointed to the reasons for a militia and that “whenever government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people they always attempt to destroy the militia in order to raise an army upon their ruins.”

Isn’t this exactly what has happened? Are there any state militias not under the control of the federal government? It is and the author agrees as he wrote, “ a huge national defense establishment has taken over the role of the militia of 200 years ago.”

The federal government has violated the constitution if the purpose of the 2nd amendment was to ensure militias were beyond the control of the federal government and prepared to fight against the federal government.

Interesting nonetheless.

Cary Ediger

The "author" in question being: Warren E. Burger, Chief Justice of the United States (1969-86)

Brock Masters

So what? Why not respond to my questions. I am interested at knowing your views.

Amazing though that a SCJ doesn’t know driving is not a right.

Cary Ediger

People get locked into "the 2 amendment means this, the 2 amendment means that".

We have lost sight of the history of the USA.

Thought this was interesting...

When a company of New Jersey militia volunteers reported for duty to Washington at Valley Forge, the men initially declined to take an oath to “the United States,” maintaining, “Our country is New Jersey.”

Brock Masters

Let’s set aside confusing a privilege with a right and focus on why, according to the author the 2nd amendment protects militias.

He said one purpose of a militia was to protect states from a national government and that they would destroy the militia to take away our rights and liberties. Hasn’t the federal government already done it? There are no militias and the national guard is subject to the federal government. Hence, if you believe Burger our rights and liberate in danger.

I agree with this and assume you do to. So shouldn’t we be concerned?

Cary Ediger

Concerned about what ?

I also don't recall typing anything regarding my views on the 2nd amendment.

Brock Masters

Damn your obtuse and obviously lacking of reading comprehension. No one said anything about being concerned about the 2nd amendment. I specifically asked about Burger’s contention that the federal government destroys the militia to take away our rights. If you don’t want to discuss it just say so but don’t act dumb.

Why post an article if you can’t understand it and are unwilling to discuss it.

Cary Ediger

LOL.... always love a good setup

Have a good day Brock :-)

Brock Masters

You too and thanks for the link. Really lays out one reason in support of the 2nd

Cary Ediger

What does the 333 mean on your pic ?

Half evil - a joke

Bruce Weber

Brock, I don't believe they can take away your right to own a car, they Can take away your privliege to operate said car

Daniel Kennamore

They can't even take away your privilege to operate it actually.

They can only take away your right to operate it on public property (which is 90% of all places you'd use one, with the other 10% being mostly parking lots you have to use those public roads to even get to).

Toni Kreitz

I support getting rid of all guns.

Bob Summers

Thank you for confirming facts about the need for the constitution and its curbing effect on congenital Liberal humans and their God complex.

Bullying.

Ken Lassman

Thanks for confirming your allegiance to the neo-eugenics, racist doctrine that a person's biochemistry determines their political belief. Every time you use "congenital liberal" you are saying that, and I'll throw that fact in your face whenever I want as a warning to others where you're coming from. Putting that label on Toni is the real bullying.

Brock Masters

Toni, how would you do it? I’d like to hear your plan.

Daniel Kennamore

As do most sane people, and more and more people are coming around every day:

That's why you can see the desperation in the gun nuts on this site. They see the writing on the wall and are freaking out.

Bruce Weber

I would suggest the Gun Nerds go online and down load the Navy Seals Manuel, I understand there is a section in there where they learn to use Deep Breathing to Stay Calm Under Pressure

Daniel Kennamore

Sadly, their take away would likely be the only way to prevent drownings is to add more water.

Louis Kannen

A concise, intellectual clarification of our 2nd Amendment. Thanks for the link.

Brock Masters

Do you agree with the author when they say it is a right to own a car or that the national government will destroy the militia when they want to invade the rights and liberties of the people? Keep in mind there are no longer state militias and the federal government has taken control of the national guard

Bob Smith

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
-- Voltaire

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire

Bob Smith

You just proved my point, Danny.

Brock Masters

The article Cary posted got me to thinking. A lot of the arguments against individual firearm ownership revolves around the militia clause.

At the article pointed out, the militia was to be comprised of individuals, not military personnel who could be called upon to fight against the federal government, internal terrorist or foreign invading armies.

I know some will consider this crazy, but I already am prepared to fight against any foreign army invading our country. I will not be like many others during WWII that weren’t able to fight against the Germany military when it invaded their country. So, I’d gladly sign that pledge.

Unlike the Tide eaters I don’t depend on the government to protect me, my family or my country. I am grateful for LEOs and our military but I take personal responsibility too.

Daniel Kennamore

"Okay, let’s get back to that and require any individual who wishes to possess a firearm to pledge an oath that if they are called upon by the state to fight against the federal government or foreign armies they will do so and submit to any training required of them at that time."

Most people are already required to do this by registering for selective service when they turn 18.

Bob Smith

What other items in the Bill of Rights do you want to restrict?

Daniel Kennamore

Freedom of speech and even the right to vote has restrictions on them.

Gun rights are not some special exception that's immune to restriction.

Ken Lassman

I don't think that a foreign army invading Kansas is at the top of anyone's list, Brock. The nature of our relationships with other countries really does not leave much room for the role of self organizing militias, which, are about as relevant in today's world as the muzzle loading muskets that the militias used during our Revolution.

And I say that with the qualifier that there are definitely roles for self organizing citizen groups in our communities; indeed it is one of the distinguishing features of our country that amazed deToqueville: when things are not right, the community self organizes and fixes them, or at least tries to. One of our historical truths is the fact that citizens have had enough faith in their law enforcement so that much opposition and change has occurred without armed violence. And I say this knowing fully well that there are entire segments of our society who have suffered otherwise. But I see the urban violence, oppression and drug addiction-related crime as a sign of failure in our communities from the top down, and arming of our citizens as just one symptom of that failure, not the source of the solution. If you look at such grassroots groups as the Guardian Angels, churches and other efforts succeeding in curbing violence in their neighborhoods, it is not their use of guns that is making the difference.

I'm not saying that a family doesn't have the right to defend itself by owning a gun and using it in self defense, even. It is definitely the last line of defense and needs to be protected. But it is also like an insurance policy that you hope you never have to use, and furthermore the insurance policy that a gun provides unfortunately can be used against you and your family members if a child, a mentally ill housemember, a hostile mate or invader gets hold of it.

Every insurance policy has a price, which is why I'm for safeguards that minimize the chances of calamity through the use of universal background checks, red flag laws, gun safety classes and restrictions on things like expanded magazines, bump stocks and the like.

But back to my original point, Brock: foreign invasion has taken on a different face than those who wrote the Second Amendment had envisioned. When we have a 340 billion dollar deficit with China last year, and some 400,000 American workers are out of work as a result, does that constitute an invasion or just the price of admission in a global economy? Does the presence of illegal immigrants represent an invasion or a necessary calculation that has helped drive our economy in Kansas since statehood? Trump is imposing tariffs to try to revitalize our steel and aluminum industries, something that horrifies free traders in the Republican Party about and concerns Democrats and industry leaders because the increased costs may harm many manufacturers more than help the ill-prepared steel and aluminum industries.

So an armed militia doesn't play the same role in today's world.

Bob Smith

In other news: "....Cruz went in with only 10-round magazines because larger clips would not fit in his duffel bag, Book said..." http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local...

Bruce Weber

thanks for bring that up Bob, magazing capacity restrictions may no be enough, ,,but what are. they you said magazines and clips while referenceing the same thing

Bob Smith

"...they you said magazines and clips while referenceing the same thing..." Would you care to put that in English?

Bob Smith

"...So the next time you hear people talking about Assault Weapons, ask them to define that term, because it’s got a different definition in almost every piece of legislation regulating them. Sometimes it includes handguns, sometimes it doesn’t. Bayonet lugs? 30 round magazines? Does the stock fold? Do they even know what they’re talking about? Do you? Are you informed enough to have a worthwhile opinion, or are you just repeating things you’ve heard that fit your preconceptions?..." https://medium.com/@Czechnology/gun-c...

Bruce Weber

so you quote two wacko republicans to make your point

Bruce Weber

Bob Smith. In other news: ... Cruz went in with 10-round magazines because larger clips would not fit in his duffle bag. There Bob Smith English moot point. The final legislation will spell all that out ...... but I do want to thank you, you seem to be adding items to the list.

Bob Smith

You seem to be confused about the definition of moot point. If the leftists had banned all magazines that hold more than to rounds, the shooter in this case would not have been affected. Had the local LEOs actually arrested the shooter for any of the many acts he'd committed, he would have been unable to legally buy a firearm.

Bob Smith

If you've been wondering what the end game is for the leftists, wonder no more. https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net...

Bob Smith

In other news: "...Several months after the shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. in 2013, President Barack Obama poured millions of dollars into arming school officers throughout the nation — a move that coincided with the NRA’s call to arm the good guys.
“We won’t be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing that we can do to prevent any of these events, we have a deep obligation — all of us — to try,” Obama said.
To that end, the Justice Department allocated $45 million to create 1,000 school resource officers who would be “specially trained” to work in schools and expand mental health personnel. This was only a drop in the bucket, of course, considering there are about 98,000 public schools in the United States. But, it sounded good..." https://pjmedia.com/trending/when-lib...
Of course, it doesn't help if the SRO stays safely outside the school while students are being murdered.

Bruce Weber

Moot Point: Can be either an issue open for debate or a matter of no practical value or importance because it's hypothetical. The latter is more common in the English language

Bob Smith

"...Approximately 100,000 Turkish and Philippine M1 Garands have been released to the CMP, and orders are currently being taken...." https://bearingarms.com/patrick-r/201...
Actual weapons of war!

Joshua Cain

If the AR was the weapon of war it is supposed to be....why then is the US Army not using it?

Full LJWorld.com site