sunnyFair, 42.0°

Letter to the editor: Message to leaders

To the editor:

To Donald Trump on tweeting:

Words without meaning

Words without feeling

Words without truth

Are just words

To Congress on the tax reform bill:

Unless you have completely read and studied the tax reform bills in Congress and understand the impact of the provisions on the people you claim to serve, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Comments

Gary Stussie

We should at least demand consistency in our "outrage", don't you think?

Mar 08, 2010 · Pelosi: "We Have to Pass the Bill So That You Can Find Out What Is In It"

Mike Riner

Are you suggesting some folks should not be hypocrites?? Really??

Patrick Pritchard

I believe I addressed my comments to Congress in general not one specific party. I am tried of all politicians failure to read, study and debate legislation before they pass it. That is suppose to be the process.

Greg Cooper

Stussie, read the entire quotation. It does not say that. You are parroting lies that just happen to fit your uninformed opinion. Really, read it and then comment. But, over all, remember that the playground rule that says he did it so I can, too, is just that: childish and immature.

Gary Stussie

Its all about consistency Cooper! The only thing you seems consistent about is the name calling of anyone with an opposing view.

Greg Cooper

Name calling, Gary? Childish and immature related to the actions you exhibit all the time. That's not name calling. But, and this is important, Gary, you did not answer my statement about the Pelosi "quote" so I assume you have no actual knowledge of the real words and context of the thought. That's what I'm talking about: you defend yourself but not your misquote. And that is not unusual for you.

Josh Berg

Greg, you have never shown any knowledge of anything. All you do is harp on people's posts and deny whatever they say without any substance. Gary has proved to be knowledgeable in the past so why question him now?

Greg Cooper

That whole post is incorrect, Josh, as i was referencing a specific statement the Gary misquoted, a fact provable with a bit of thought. And harping on people's posts is what conversation is all about, Josh: you say something, I respond. I'm not always right, nor is anyone here. But, and you can count on this, I always have enough information to back up my statements. Factual, reviewable information. Read the post again, Josh, and get back to me as to how it was incorrect or misleading. I'll wait.

Josh Berg

I do not see how your information is any more factual than anyone else. Because it comes from your liberal brain? You post your opinions and I post mine and in the end I defer to my knowledge of politics over yours. When I need four wheels I will call you? Oh wait I would never give you commission. In fact, I think I will tell the world not to shop at Laird Noller

1 month ago

Richard Aronoff

To H. Patrick Pritchard.....

45,000 new manufacturing jobs that were supposed to be gone forever
3%+ economic growth when 1% was supposed to be the new normal
low unemployment including the lowest Hispanic unemployment rate in the history of the republic
a stock market that has hit record highs over 80 times since November of 2016, despite the predictions of Paul Krugman (former advisor to Enron) who predicted a market meltdown

And while the usual suspects in the so-called main stream media breathlessly report that the tax plan might add one trillion dollars to the nation's debt over 10 years, they refuse to acknowledge that the former resident of the White House doubled the debt --- from 10 trillion to 20 trillion --- in eight years.

Patrick Pritchard

My fault I don't follow Fox News "fantasy news". Oh by the way the reason the deficit increased during the previous administration had more to do with the mismanagement by the very people who will now receive massive tax cuts which in turn required the federal bailout of financial institutions who went off the rails with their financial antics due to lax regulation by the Bush Administration. Very similar to what happened in the 1920s under another Republican administration.

Gary Stussie

You would be much better informed if you watched FOX ... “U.S. News was talking about the bombing at 7:54. Nearly an hour later, CNN is whining about Donald Trump drinks Diet Cokes and watches too much TV instead of reporting about terrorism in New York City,”

Patrick Pritchard

Guess I ought to be glad I don't follow CNN.....Fox makes so many reporting errors they don't bother to retract them unless the error is really blatant.

P Allen Macfarlane

tt was Ronald Reagan who ballooned the deficit during his term in office and that didn't really improve until Clinton came in, wiped out the debt, and produced budget surpluses. Republicans are great talking about getting the national debt under control, but when it comes right down to it, they are willing to give away more than is taken in under the theory of trickle down, when the only thing that trickles is the debt. Only in this case, it will gush.

Richard Aronoff

Mr. Pritchard: the facts in my post were not fantasy news. They are hard facts. Meanwhile, the network that I assume is your preferred news source has had to retract stories 17 times in the last year. Even the very liberal Washington Post has pointed that out.

I also think you were probably one of those people who screamed at the sky on the anniversary of the election. You know, like a two-year-old.

Richard Aronoff

And what about this Trump quote, Mr. Pritchard: "The final and best means of strengthening demand among consumers and business is to reduce the burden on private income and the deterrents to private initiative which are imposed by our present tax system -- and this administration pledged itself last summer to an across-the-board, top-to-bottom cut in personal and corporate income taxes..."

Oh.......wait a minute. That wasn't Trump. That was John F. Kennedy speaking to the New York Economic Club in 1962.

Steve King

Let's recount. The Depression. The GOP controlled all 3 branches. Regan, tax cuts. Put the economy in shambles. He raised taxes 11 times and moved $2.4 trillion out of the SS Trush fund (closed it) and spent it all. The Great Recession, on Bush's watch. A million jobs a month lost. Obama, 84 months of job growth. Trump bragging on 3% growth in the Quarter, Obama did as well. After paying into SS for 45 years it insults me the GOP calls it an entitlement. The GOP, the party for the 1%.

Gary Stussie

Wow! Where did you get this crap from Mother Jones?

Steve King

Gosh Golly Gary. From the Deaprtment of Labor. Same guys counting Trump's numbers. So what, you don't remember the Depression? Too lazy to look up who was in power? The Great Recession? Forget about it too? They are studying it in College Economics for goodness sake. Deny the truth much? Who was in office when the banks were too large to fail? Bush. Good grief, do some research before posting. It only weakens your posts when you don't.

Gary Stussie

Obama's Department of Labor? ... "Obama, 84 months of job growth"

That sounds impressive doesn't it? But that job growth he brags upon is stretched over almost six full years, during which time the working age population grew by 15.8 million. Also Obama's increase in jobs is measured against when the job market hit rock bottom in February 2010. If you compare the current number of jobs to the previous jobs peak in January 2008 -- which is how job growth is normally measured -- the number of private-sector jobs has increased just 5.6 million.

During that time, the population grew by more than 20 million. In other words, there's a jobs gap of more than 14 million.

Compare these numbers to what happened during the Reagan recovery, when the job market exploded after bottoming out in December 1982. While the population grew 12.4 million in the following six years, the number of jobs shot up by 18.4 million.

While 14.4 million jobs were created from February 2010 to March 2016, the number of people who dropped out of the labor force -- either because they retired or just quit looking for work -- shot up an astonishing 10 million.

Put all the spin you want on it ... your summary is crap.

Greg Cooper

Steve King: Two plus two equals four.

Gary Stussie: Put all the spin you want on it...your assertion is crap.

Josh Berg

Once again a Greg Cooper post with no substance

Greg Cooper

Based on the facts presented by Steve and the attempted and failed rebuttal by Gary, I thought it was kind of cute. Sorry you didn't thinks so. But not a lot.

Josh Berg

How come P Macfarlane does not ask you to stop making snarky comments?

Greg Cooper

Well, I suppose that, if I read anything unfactual in his posts, I'd point it out and he'd respond, kind of like adults do when they are trying to have a meaningful conversation. I find it rare that PMA says anything that sets off my "snarkyness", so that is your answer. And, by the way, who appointed you the Snark police, anyway? Seems kind of like the fox guarding the hen house. Opinion, not satire.

1 month ago

Josh Berg

I am sure you are just a delight at home Greg

1 month ago

Steve King

No spin. The truth is in the eye of the beholder. Here's your validation. Proof positive. Job growth. 84 months. You can't deny the GOP held all 3 branches leading up to the Depression. You can't deny the Recession started under Bush. You can't deny Brownback's tax cut trickle down was a failure. Sad.

Steve King

You know, I was working your math on the population increase in Obama's term and it occurred to me you must be in favor of child labor. At best, those born in Obama's first term are about 8 years old. Are you saying these children should be working? Sad.

Ken Lassman

I love it when folks just quietly counter skewed assertions with information from reliable sources. Thanks, Steve.

Steve King